Last Updated in July 2021 by Lukasz Zelezny
[su_dropcap]I[/su_dropcap]n today’s world, the competition in the market is increasing for businesses and it is difficult to sustain, especially for small and medium-sized businesses when every competitor wants to kick you out of the business. For such businesses, there are lots of opportunities available for them if they take their business online.
With online business presence and successful implementation of digital marketing strategies, businesses can strengthen their brand and achieve great results.
Example usage of SEMRush platform - watch now
Guide to Help You Get Better At SEMRush.
Nowadays, various digital marketing tools available on the web. Among them one of the leading and powerful tools which are used by marketers to do SEO for the website is SEMRush.
Many digital marketers and SEO analysts use this tool for keyword research, site audit, competitive analysis, site positioning, backlink source, content creation with the keyword, etc. SEMRush is great for both new as well as expert digital marketers.
What is SEMRush?
SEMRush is a software that was founded by Oleg Shchegolev and Dmitry Melnikov in 2008. It helps to optimize companies’ websites for search engines and it also helps companies to run digital marketing campaigns like SEO campaigns, PPC (pay-per-click), social media marketing, and content marketing campaigns.
SEMRush provides you a lot of information with which you can: - identify trends that occur within your industry niche, find link building opportunities, identify valuable keywords for your campaign, identify keywords used by your competitors and how they rank in the search engine and create new web content that is likely to attract traffic. It gives you an insight as to how you rank up against your competition and can also suggest how difficult it will be to rank for specific keywords or search phrases.
SEMRush also audits your on-page SEO, which allows you to understand your page better and optimize it for SEO to improve your rankings and better lead generation. It also suggests websites that are worth for backlinks.
That is just the beginning, there are many other features provided by SEMRush that are designed to help you to improve your website's performance and position in search engines.
Now, we will go through these features in-depth.
How to use SEMRush?
- Keyword Research – Keyword research help in establishing how many people are searching for a particular keyword, how difficult it is to rank for that keyword, finding out who is already ranking for that keywords, and getting a suggestion for other keywords.
SEMRush keyword research tools make it easy to find out answers to all the above questions. Under Keyword Overview tool you just have to enter a keyword and you will immediately see:
- Volume: Sum of the users who searches for the exact same keyword.
- KD: It stands for keyword difficulty which means how difficult it is to rank a website for that particular keyword.
- Com: Competition of that keyword.
- Trend: Trend of that keyword.
And other information.
Now, the ‘Keyword Magic’ tool can be used to find keywords related to the phrases you have entered. SEMRush’s keyword research tool provides you with all the key information you need to make a decision on which keywords to target for your SEO project.
- Rank Tracking – It is a tool that is used to find out how your website is ranking for a particular keyword over time globally or in any specific region. It is easy to use this tool in SEMRush – you go to the position tracker section and enter the domain name and the keyword(s) you would like to track.
You can also enter the domain name of your competitors to check how their website is currently ranking for those keywords. You can also subscribe to the regular email updates to monitor your rank tracking.
- Backlink Analysis – Backlinks are important for websites as they drive traffic from other websites. Website performance in search results depends on how many backlinks are there.
It is easy to add backlinks, but it is also important to have quality backlinks as Google and other search engines give priority to websites with quality inbound links.
With SEMRush, there are two options by which you can analyze backlinks: the first is ‘backlink analysis’ and the second option is ‘backlink audit’.
- ‘Backlink Analytics’ section lets you search all the backlinks to a particular domain name. Under this section, you can view the anchor text used for each backlink, domain distribution (.com,.org,.gov links, etc.) and information on the IP addresses of backlinks.
You can also use this tool to gain insights into competitors' backlinks.
- ‘Backlink audit’ help in establishing the toxicity of backlinks pointing to your website and helps to determine website health. Backlink audits compile a list of all the links that it thinks are spam, which you can review and later upload to Google as a ‘disavow’ file.
It is important to upload this file as it tells google to ignore toxic links, otherwise, Google will penalize the sites with lots of toxic and poor-quality backlinks. Disavowing toxic links can positively impact your search rankings.
If you think a certain backlink is not toxic, there is an option to whitelist the link. (You can read Google’s guidelines on disavow backlinks here)
- Link Building – The process of getting other websites linking to yours is known as link building. Link building is of vital importance for the success of any SEO project because search engines typically rank websites with more links pointing to them at higher positions in search results.
SEMRush’s link building tools examine the content on your website, ask for the keywords you want to rank for, and then provide a list of websites that might be worth approaching for a backlink.
- Broken Link Building – Link that no longer leads anywhere is known as a broken link. Broken link building is a very important SEO approach as it helps to find a broken link, allows you to recreate the dead and lost content that is used to point to, and then letting everybody know who used to link to the lost content to link to your new link instead.
Use of this tool should not be avoided because it allows you to build up new backlinks to your content and as mentioned in the previous point, the more backlinks pointing to your website, the better your content performs in search results.
- Site Audit – Site auditing is another hugely useful feature of SEMRush. By using this tool, you can find the errors that are hurting your search engine ranking like:
- Duplicate Content
- Crawl Errors
- SSL problems
- Missing headers
- Slow-loading content, etc. etc.
The site audit tool scans your entire website and gives you tips for improvement for each page. It not only tells you what you should do but why you should do it.
With each suggestion, it explains the reason behind each recommendation. These suggestions can include:
- Providing ALT attribute to broken images
- Which websites to include as backlinks
- Length of content
- Overusing of keyword
- Which keywords to add
- Adding the tags if necessary
- How to improve meta tags and meta description
- Internal linking strategies
and many more.
- Traffic Analytics – SEMRush’s traffic analytics tool gives you detailed information to know from which source, location, and demography the traffic is coming to the website. By analyzing the data from the analytics tool, you can design the SEO strategies for your website.
Is SEMRush free?
As it is said, “Nothing in life is free”. The same goes for SEMRush.
When compared with other types of software as a service (SaaS) apps, SEO tools like SEMRush are expensive. That is because, with SEMRush you are not just paying for functionality, but you are also paying for access to large quantities of data which includes competitor intelligence.
Currently, SEMRush offers 3 pricing plans:
Pro: $99.95 per month
Guru: $199.95 per month
Business: $399.95 per month
SEMRush also provides a 7 days free trial to its new users. All you have to do is to enter your card details while signing up to avail of a free trial, which is a common practice where SEO tools are concerned.
The main difference between the plan involves the number of reports that you can run per day, the number of keywords you can track per month, access to historical data, content marketing platform, reporting, and additional users.
Pro plan is the best freelancers and start-ups who want to run SEO, PPC, and SMM campaigns and analyze competitors’ traffic, ranking, social media results, and more. For small and medium businesses, the Guru plan is best as it provides additional features like content marketing platform along with reports and access to historical data.
For businesses with an extensive web presence, a Business plan is suggested. Click SEMRush.com/prices/
table">here to check the full comparison table.
How Accurate is SEMRush?
Forecasting is extremely difficult and done badly can be misleading and damaging. There are numerous assumptions, caveats, and uncontrollable factors involved in forecasting.
Predictions are nothing more than an educated estimation.
Google, Bing, and other search engines contain incredibly strong algorithms for their SERP which they keep on updating, hence it is not possible to crack the algorithm and guess how they work.
Therefore, it is not possible for any third-party tool to give 100 % accurate results. Results from SEMRush and other tools are not accurate more than 50%.
This is because if SEMRush start being accurate more than 50%, then all their users will rank at the top in all search engines SERP.
All SEMRush provides is a rough idea about your site and competitors, based on which you do the hard work to rank your site on the search engines.
SEMRush is one tool that can solve all your Search Engine Optimization needs. It is because it has a plethora of features that can make your website get on the top results of all SERPs.
With the help of SEMRush, you can do proper keyword research, create content for your blogs, analyze competitors, check data analytics, and backlinks. It also helps you to understand and manage your social media traffic.
It keeps you well versed with the strengths and weaknesses of your website so you can understand what is working well for your website and what is not.
SEMRush does have certain disadvantages like high prices and difficult to understand for beginners. But once you get familiar with it, you will understand that ROI is much higher.
SEMRush is a powerful tool without any doubt. But it can only provide you with the data and lots of information, ultimately you have to analyze, decide, and develop a successful SEO strategy.
Therefore, you must begin with a free trial and use each feature thoroughly. Once you are completely satisfied with it, purchase the subscription, you will not be disappointed.
SEMRush has helped countless websites and blogs. It can also help you.
Just take a first step and Signup for SEMRush free trial. If you have any questions get in touch with us.