What are outbound links?
In this blogpost
Outbound links, also called external links, direct traffic to other websites from your website to other external sites. The purpose of this intervention is to enable you to provide references to your users based on the content on your site. To make them trust the credibility of your content. Correspondingly, if you have acquired data, text, or images from another external site, you might need to cite the sources of your literal material. Such shows ethical journalistic practice and maintains the expected level of professionalism.Therefore, external links are pretty helpful for SEO in that they help provide quality content which is a critical factor in ranking a website.
Features of Outbound Links
- External links are more valuable than internal links since how other people rate you is more important than how you rate yourself. In that, if many websites link to your site, you will be a more valuable and credible source, unlike when there is none or very few sites linking to your site.
- Outbound links are challenging to manipulate, making them the best parameter for search engines to determine a website’s relevance and popularity.
Significance of Outbound Links
- Through outbound links, search engines and people can discover quality, reliable and valuable content. They also help increase organic traffic, establish trust and create relationships. When people realise they can find reliable content on your site, they will tend to come back more and refer their peers. Therefore, enabling you to improve your increase your traffic and rankings.
- Then again, if your outbound links are directed to reliable sources, users will tend to trust your website, making more visits to your site and making referrals to their friends and associates. Similarly, you get to establish relationships with other websites, and as a result, you gain authority and control within the digital space. Hence, boosting your SEO campaigns.
- They improve the website’s relevance in that they assist users in understanding your content, the solutions that you are offering to specific problems according to your listings. Lastly, how useful the page is to the crawlers searching or inquiring about things online.
- They help improve reputation by including external links to compatible and authoritative sources. Since your site will be associating with respected names within your circles. Since, you get to mingle with the big names and in the process, your websites gains some reputation in the industry.
Best Practice for out bond Links
- Relevance – when creating an external link, you should consider the compatibility, relevance, and credibility of the site where you are sourcing the link. That is in terms of whether the page is semantic and content-based so that the content in your site can be complimented adequately to the content on the outbound link webpage. Helping you avoid confusion and poor quality to the users and search engine could lead to a decrease in organic traffic and rankings.
- Unnatural links – some sites have a tendency for Spammy and volume link generation. Sites should consistently audit and review their links to discourage any toxic links that could be harmful to users and other sites.
- Anchor Text – avoid using similar keywords anchor text throughout all the backlinks. Anchor text on outbound links should strictly be a set of primary keyword variations and primary language directed to your target page.
- Linking Page Authority – since outbound links are translated as votes from one site to another regarding academic citations. Therefore, the more referrals a link gets, the more authority and value it will gain. Then collectively, the external links within the pages in the sites, if they are valuable, will contribute to the site’s ranking.
- Root/volume domains – other than the quality of the link, authority, and relevancy of the outbound links. The volume of the site also matters; sites that have all these attributes but lack in the volume are ranked lower within the search results.
Sources that you should avoid when linking to other sites.
Many search engines establish grounds for ranking your site based on the sites you link with, combined with other factors. That is the site you link with and the ones you link up with, both ways. Therefore, you should avoid linking with site pages that offer shady tactics or portray a negative user experience.
Can achieve that by going through evaluating whether the content is compatible with your users’ intent content. Then again, avoid linking to pages with massive advertising content, which may appear tedious to read and annoy your users. As such, you should use various publishers as your linking source.
Avoid Outbound Links Opening in Different Windows
When external links open in different windows, they may divert the users’ attention, ending up not serving the desired purpose. Moreover, it might make some users frustrated, and they may never come back to revisit your site. Therefore, ensure that your external links open in the same window they are placed.
External Links That Should Have No Follow Attributes
Initially, this concept was embraced, but recently, it is no longer applicable unless under certain particular circumstances, which include;
- In case there is an advert a blog post that is sponsored.
- When the link is carelessly placed anywhere, like the footer area.
- If the link is not under your control, it is included in the comment section.
- It would be best if you consisted of the editorial link to a particular page you are not interested in associating within your dealings.
However, sites with high authority might use the no-follow attribute for multiple external links to prevent themselves from potential abuse by scammers who might intend to manipulate their links due to their high value.
Links that you Might Follow Include
- Linking to an analogy that clearly describes your point.
- Where citations are required
- Where you have to compliment your content from other sites.
Was this post helpful?
Last Updated in December 2021 by Lukasz Zelezny