Last Updated in August 2021 by Lukasz Zelezny
Do you want to know how to do an SEO site audit? In this article, we will discuss what you should check for on your website when doing a search engine optimization (SEO) audit. Running an SEO audit is one of the most important steps you can take to improve your website’s visibility in search engine ranking. Your goal is to make sure that your website is set up in the best way possible so that it ranks well and brings in more traffic. Many things can go wrong on a site in terms of SEO and if you take care of these issues, then your results may be much better than they were before!
What Is An SEO Audit And Why Do I Need One
In this blogpost
The SEO audit is an assessment of your website’s visibility in search engine ranking. You need to do this before you start any changes on your site because if you don’t know how a change will affect what the search engines see, then there may be unintended consequences that cause more harm than good. Many things on a site can go wrong when it comes to search engine optimization (SEO), and if you take care of them, then your results may be much better than they were before. It also helps with tracking progress!
For now, though, let’s get started with looking at some examples of what should be looked for during an SEO Site Audit.
How To Perform An SEO Audit
To do a proper site audit, here are the things that you need to check:
– Page titles – Titles should be clear and concise so they show up prominently when people search for relevant topics on Google’s results. A good title also includes keywords because this lets visitors find what they’re looking for faster. In addition, don’t forget about meta descriptions! It should give readers a good idea of what the post is about.
– URL structure – The structure and naming conventions for URLs should be logical, intuitive, and easy to remember so that visitors can easily navigate your site.
– Check external links – You need to make sure you don’t have any broken links by scanning through all outgoing internal and external hyperlinks across your website with a tool like Xenu Link Sleuth or Screaming Frog SEO Spider.
– Check for duplicate or near-duplicate content – Duplicate content can harm how search engines rank your pages, so you need to make sure that each page is unique and contains different text that accurately reflects what users will find when they land there.
– Mobile optimization – It’s important to ensure that visitors are getting a good experience whether they’re viewing your website via a mobile device or a desktop. This includes things like making sure your site loads quickly on all devices, that the text is easy to read, and tap links are easily identifiable with their colour-changing when touched.
Use Google Analytics To See What Keywords Are Bringing Traffic To Your Site
Google Analytics is a very powerful tool that comes with an enormous amount of information. You can use the “Search Queries” report in Google Analytics to see what keywords are bringing traffic to your website.
The search queries feature allows you to view how many people have visited from which specific keyword searches and also gives some insight as to what type of content within your domain they were looking for. This can be useful if you want to target particular pages on your website more heavily than others.
Some tips on how to optimize your website for search engines and customers alike, including keyword research, meta descriptions, title tags, etc…
– Titles: Make sure every page has an accurate title tag where appropriate. Keep titles short (70 characters) so they can be displayed through search engine results pages without being cut off at the end by too many words.
– Meta Description: These descriptions are used by the major search engines to describe your content below the title in a SERP. Keep them short but informative. Include keywords whenever possible because it improves the ranking of your site.
– URL Structure: The ideal way of structuring URLs would be with an individualized string of characters that can also act as keywords because it helps both humans and bots find what they’re looking for more easily. This means using words separated by periods or underscores instead of just numbers; it allows browsers to understand where one page ends and another begins (which makes navigating easier) while increasing their chances of being listed higher up on SERP results in pages.
– Content: Quality content is the most important factor in SEO. Don’t try to cheat your way up by throwing irrelevant keywords into a post or article; instead, write naturally with the intent of providing value for both people and search engine crawlers.
– Social Media Link: Be sure to optimize your website for social media and include links to all of the major platforms in a sidebar or footer; this will help build awareness about the content you share on those networks, which can lead to backlinks as well because people are more likely to link to blogs they’re already following if there’s a link available from their site. Be sure to use anchor text like “click here” instead of simply including links within your post.
Include a sitemap on your site so that you can submit it to Google Webmaster Tools.
Sitemaps are important for getting your website indexed in Google’s search engine. If you don’t have one, or if it is not being submitted correctly to Webmaster Tools, then the spiders may be unable to find and index all your content – which will impact how many visitors see your site when they do searches on Google. A properly created and maintained sitemap ensures that all pages from the root URL up to ten levels deep are included in its listings. This will help make sure that your entire website gets found, regardless of where link paths might lead between archives within the same domain name.”
Create quality backlinks from other sites with similar content or related topics
– One way to increase rankings is by building high-quality backlinks from other sites with similar content or related topics.
– In the past, this would require a lot of time and effort on your part but for today it’s as simple as running an SEO audit on your site and finding pages that you can link to from others with more authority in their niche.
– There are many different types of backlink opportunities available so be sure to explore them all before investing too much energy into any one strategy. For example: commenting (on blogs), guest posting, submitting articles, infographics, video submissions.
How to use the results of your SEO audit to improve your site’s rankings
To make sure the goals of your SEO audit are met, it is important to remember how you will use the results. This can be anything from making tweaks on a page to get higher rankings for specific keywords or fixing broken links that might contribute negatively towards search engine optimization efforts. Think about what needs improvement and then take measurements before and after implementing changes so that progress may be assessed. This way, one has an idea of whether these improvements have any effect at all!
Keep track of how long it takes to find certain pages: this will help you conclude the quality of your site’s organization. If one page is more difficult than others to locate on the website, then there may need some work done to make it easier for visitors (and search engine spiders) to get around!
The best way to get visibility on Google and rank for your desired keywords is by creating a detailed SEO audit. After completing these steps, you should have a better understanding of how your website is performing. We’ve given you some tips that will help you perform an effective audit. Let us know what has worked for you when performing an SEO audit?